Bumper sticker of the day: "The gene pool could use a little chlorine."
Review of Lecture 21: Onward and upward: Natural Selection
1. Charles Darwin, Charles Lyell, Thomas Malthus, Alfred Wallace: voyage of the HMS Beagle, the Galápagos Islands
-- the idea of natural selection:
- a) species have excess reproductive capacity
- b) variation among offspring -- not all survive
- c) the environment selects which individuals will survive and reproduce
2. Natural Selection: differential reproductive success among individuals in a population.
3. Populations, genetic variability, selection pressure, fitness.
4. Kinds of natural selection: stabilizing, directional, balancing, disruptive.
Return to PB 102 Class Notes Homepage
Please send your suggestions, comments,
corrections, and/or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated May 21, 1997.