Outline Lecture 6: Seed Plants (Cycads, Ginkgo, Conifers, Gnetophytes).
Readings: Chapter 30 in Moore et al.
A. Evolutionary relationships of Seed Plants to Progymnosperms and Flowering Plants.
1. Evolution of secondary growth and wood formation.
B. Evolution of the Ovule and Seeds.
1. Fossil record – seed ferns.
a. Conceptual derivation of structures from the fern life cycle.
2. Morphological derivation of integument (seed coat).
D. The Geological Perspective.
1. Major radiations in the Devonian and Carboniferous.
2. All major groups present by Jurassic except flowering plants.
C. Overview of Major Extant Taxa.
1. Cycads, Ginkgo, Conifers (Pines), Gnetophytes (Ephedra).
a. History and ethnobotany of Ginkgo biloba.