Outline Lecture 3: Algae.
Readings: Chapter 27 in Moore et al.
A. Evolutionary relationships among the algae.
1. Not a monophyletic group.
2. Green, red, and brown algae contain different photosynthetic pigments, with different functional characteristics.
a. Chlorophyll a, b, & c, plus phycobilins
1. Ecology of red algae (properties of phycoerythrin & role of corraline algae).
2. The biology of an edible alga, Porphyra (nori).
a. Life cycle and ethnobotany.
1. Algal lifecycles: gametic, zygotic, and sporic.
1. Basic ecology and lifecycle of Fucus.
1. Diversity of morphology, lifecycles, and habitats.
2. Lifecycles of Chlamydomonas, and Cladophora.
3. Flavonoid biosynthesis and evolution of the land plants.