Outline Lecture 2: Fungi.
Readings: Chapter 26 in Moore et al.
A. Overview of the Kingdom Fungi.
a. Absorptive heterotrophs, chitin in cell walls, non-motile filaments, ability to form dikaryotic hyphae in higher fungi.
1. Overview of basidiomycete lifecycle.
a. Spore (n) ? mycelium (n) ? dikaryotic hyphae (n+n) ? fruiting body ? basidium ? zygote (2n) ? spore.
2. Plant fungal pathogens – rusts.
a. Complex lifecycles often involving multiple hosts.
1. Overview of ascomycete lifecycle.
a. Fertile structures on top of fruiting body, no gills.
2. Lichens: a symbiosis between an ascomycete and an alga.
3. Brewer’s yeast and its basic metabolic biochemistry.
1. The ritual use of Psilocybe in mesoamerica.